CUEBC Conference

What an amazing day! I attended the CUEBC Conference today. The keynote speaker was Will Richardson. He chided educators for preparing children for today rather than for tomorrow. He encouraged educators to provide students with opportunities for children to become engaged in the vast array of reading and writing activities available in the form of wikis, blogs, face book, etc… Sumarizing the ideas he presented would be too much thinking for me at this time (11:48 PM) but it was more than inspiring.

Following the Keynote Speaker I attended three workshops… 

Microsoft Photo Story 3 to make individual and class presentations. Great ideas for making writing and reading more engaging for all students. Great applications for students who need extra motivation to provide them with the desire to be involved in reading and writing. Great applications for Gifted students who need creative ways to share their thinking.

Del.icio.us social bookmarking in order to store, organize and share internet bookmarks. My del.icio.us site is in its very early stages so don’t expect much…yet. Check out the CommonCraft explanation of del.icio.us[kml_flashembed movie="http://youtube.com/v/x66lV7GOcNU" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

Game Maker to learn basic computer programing in an engaging environment. What a great tool for teaching literacy! We made a simple game with one of those pacman ghosts in a few minutes. My own two kids will love it, and I will try to use it with my students. The presenters use it with High School Students but I think it would be a fun experiment to try it with younger kids.

One thought on “CUEBC Conference