Using the Read-Write web with children

Some parents and educators are concerned about allowing children to post to the Internet via wikis, blogs, or other interactive web sites. Here is your chance to put forth your arguments. My thoughts are below:

While we need to carefully consider how and why our children are posting, we also need to ensure that they are provided with carefully guided opportunities especially during their preteen years. Preteen children are usually far more willing to listen to advice on how to post safely and on how to evaluate their posts and the posts of others, and to seek our advice. Regardless of whether or not we provide them with guided posting opportunities, most of them will be participating in social sites such as Face Book, YouTube, etc. when they are older. As a parent I allow my preteen children to post, and they each have their own blog which we work on together. I want to provide them with these opportunities during the years when they are still idealistic, and still listening. I don’t want to wait until their teen years when they suddenly know more than me…

I would love to hear from others pros, cons, stories…